Live early morning from Negombo to Polonnaruwa, The medieval capital of Ceylon , visit site in Polonnaruwa and we will have lunch in Polonnaruwa, way back to Negombo we will visit biggest wood carving factory in Polonnaruwa , and Elephant ride in Habarana
Polonnaruwa was the medieval capital of Srilanka in north central province .it's about 201km from Negombo. Where art architecture, and engineering were revived into cultural epoch. The ancient ruins are more or less unexplored and the majority of Lankans do not even know what wonderful sites and town existed during the time of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa eras. Who visit Polonnaruwa wonder how these statues, temples, monuments, massive structures could have been built during such an early period.
Polonnaruwa replaced Anuradhapura as the capital city of Ceylon because of the invasion of south India. The valiant Vijayabahu 1st (1055-1110 A.D) Devoted his long reign to the development of irrigation and Buddhism. The real Polonnaruwa hero of the history books is actually his grandson Parakramabahu 1st, (1115-1186 AD) it was the reign that is considered the golden age of Polonnaruwa. The lesser chronicle, in which the history of Ceylon was recorded, captured Polonnaruwa and assumed control of the whole island. King Nissanka Malla (1187-1192 AD) king Kalinga Magha who ruled Polonnaruwa(1215-1236 AD) destroyed Buddhist place of worship and burnt the books. The Sinhalese king abandoned Polonnaruwa, but King Parakramabahu 3rd (1284-1293 AD) made an attempt to rule from Polonnaruwa for a short time.
In the surrounding area many ruins and its accepted that this would have been an educational institution consisting of a large library. Here you will find four small dagabas surrounding a circular brick building on the central platform. The acoustics of this enigmatic building are excellent, even without the corbelled roof that it would have had when it was built.
“Not even a drop of water from the rain must flow in to the ocean without being made useful to men'' declared the king Parakramabahu when he constructed the Parakrama Samudra which covers an area of 2,430 hectares. This monumental feat of engineering had 11 channels leading water off in different directions of feed a network of irrigation canals and minor tanks.
This remarkably fine statue is 11 1/2 feet high, is a huge 12th century rock sculpture of great quality. this statue situated near the Potgul Vihara. A barefood figure , cald only in saron and hold s an ola leaf book in his hand, is facing the Potgul Vihara. there for it can be concluded that there would have been some conection between Potgul Vihara and the ststue.
King Nissanka malla was who ruled the Polonnaruwa from 1187-1192 A.D. between Parakrama Samudraya and the main road are many ruins. The building which is rectangular in shape has two tiers raised above the ground , built on rock in Nissanka Malla's council hall.
This is one of the oldest monuments in Polonnaruwa, It's believed t have been built during the reign of Nissanka Malla. To hold the tooth relic of buddha or a house built encircling a stupa. This is a beautiful circular structure. It consists of two concentric circular stone terraces one above the other. On the stone pillars is cinstructed the roof of the building. A conventional entrance leads to the first terrace. From this to the upper terrace, there are four entrances at the four cardinal points. The upper terrace housed a small dagaba with four statue of Samadhi buddha.
The well preserved Thuparamaya is an image house built for the worship of the Buddha. The roof and the walls were entirely of brick were plastered with stucco. There are signs that there was a seated image of the Buddha in the sanctum of the Thuparamaya, but this has been destroyed. The walls of the shrine are constructed with special kind of stone.there are statues of the Buddha along the wall of the shrine. There is a windiw above the entrance through which the sunlight falls on the seated image of the Buddha. The eyes of the statue are mad of the precious stone which reflect sunlight illuminating the image house. Even today a match stick or alamp is lit inside shrine, the image house.
Built by King Nissanka Malla. The stone pillars of this building resemble the stem of a lotus.this building used by the king to listen to chanting of ‘pirith' and for the exposition of the Tooth Relic.
The house of Eight Relics was the first Tooth Relic temple build by king Vijayabahu 1st in the 11th century. A neat plantation of 54 stone columns, some of them intricately carved, others embedded in brickwork, would have supported a timber upper floor in which the Relic was kept. An image of the Buddha almost 3 meters high stands among the columns.
This building has been built by king Nissanka Malla, to house the Tooth Relic of Buddha. when the protection of the tooth Relic became a symbol of royal power.its thick stone walls thst still contain tree buddha images are inscribed Nissanka Malla's name.(the name is due to abelife that it was completed in 60hours)
Book of stone , is an enormous stone slab which you can see beside the temple. It is believed that this was carried by the giants of King Nissanka Malla from Mihintale, 100 km away. This is 26 feet (8 meters) in length, 4 1/2 feet in width, and about 2 feet in thickness, is the longest rock inscription in ceylon
This building has not been identified yet. The “seven story edifice'' was built by brick near to Vatadage and Galpota. Similar structure are also seen in south east asia countries where buddhism flourished and it is believed that this structure was introduces here to conssolidate relationship.
This unusual stupa has been built by Rupavati, one of the parakramabahu's queens. The original name of this stupa is not known, the current name 'Pabalu' (meaning Beads) was derived from the fact that a large number of small glass beads found during the excavation of trhe area aroundd the stupa. Top part and centre of the stupa hass been destroyed by invaders.
The base of the dagaba made of the brick with a figure of lion looking a head. A rock inscription assigned to Nissanka Mallawas found here. the quadrangle is made of brick.
This is the largest stupa in Polonnaruwa was built by king Nissanka Malla. Next biggest after the great dagaba Ruwanweli in Anuradhapura. There is a rock inscription assigned to the king. There are number of Buddhist shrines around it.
This buiding is assigned to king Parakramabahu. The impressive two walls fo this building 16 meters of height and each walls 04 meters thickness. Is a large structure built of bricks. Inside the shrine stands headless statue of Buddha, tall about over 14 meters and the interior walls are adorned with excellent murals. It is larger than the Thuparamaya, with a more elaborate plan. The outside walls are horizontally divided in to five floors.
This has been built by a queen of King Parakramabahu 1st . it is the second biggest stupa in Polonnaruwa. This too part of Alahana privena and stands 80 feet in height today. It is the only stupa to survive 900 years of forces of nature and still is the original condition and the white plaster on the stupa can still be seen.
It is the rock temple of Buddha, was constructedd 12th century by King Parakramabahu 1st . the temple has been destroyed and only the foundation can be seen. Four colosal Buddha images have been carved from one large rock. The statues are carved of a long granite wall which from the backdrop. One of the most striking of the many stone statues is a 14 meter Buddha statue, carved out of living rock. To one side of this reclining Buddha stands a 7 meter Buddha, in a rare pose with crossed arms. Another smaller statue of Buddha sits in deep maditation , while a 4th figure is set in to a cave cut in the rock wall.
The vihara has derived the name 'Thivanka' as the main Buddha statue are curved in three places. It is 67 feet in length , and 23 feet in width, with thick walls. The most important paintings of the Polonnaruwa period were found on the wall of the Thivanka